* All information is provided by CQA.
* All information is correct at the time of publication. UniKL reserves the right to make changes to the programmes offered and its content without prior notice. Programmes will be offered subject to MQA approval.
Diploma of Engineering Technology in Medical Electronics
Diploma Teknologi Kejuruteraan (Elektronik Perubatan)
The need for more sophisticated medical equipment is expanding tremendously in parallel with the growing numbers of hospitals in Malaysia. In the absence of Medical Engineering Technologist, the situation will be dire. The Diploma of Engineering Technology in Medical Electronics programme, offered by Universiti Kuala Lumpur, British Malaysian Institute (UniKL BMI), is one of the pioneering medical engineering technology programme introduced by a local technical university. The programme provides students with the unique opportunity to achieve understanding, knowledge, and skills in both electronics techniques and human physiology and enables them to make an immediate contribution in electronics and clinical aspects of their work.
- Acquired fundamental knowledge of the human system and various medical electronics fields such as in human physiology, medical instrumentation and electronics in diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Acquired understanding and skills in Plan Preventive Maintenance (PPM) including Equipment Safety Test (EST) on certain medical electronics equipment.
- Acquired basic skills in constructing, testing and troubleshooting electronics circuits as part of the process in designing medical electronics equipment/device during labs and FYP.
- Updating students with the latest medical engineering technologies, especially in the areas of Diagnostic and Therapeutic.
- Our diploma graduates can enhance theoretical knowledge and hands on skills by upgrading their qualifications in similar field by pursuing studies in our Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons.) in Medical Electronics program.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1 UniKL graduates who are knowledgeable, competent, dynamic and innovative which will contribute towards the requirement of human capital in Medical Electronics technology area to meet the demand in the related industries.
- PEO 2 UniKL graduates who have effective leadership and team work skills as well as verbal and non-verbal interpersonal communication skills to support their role in industry.
- PEO 3 UniKL graduates who are highly committed to the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
- PEO 4 UniKL graduates who practice professionalism with ethics and social responsibility.
- PEO 5 UniKL graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs) Majors in Medical Electronics will be able to:
- PLO 1 Knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals to well defined practical procedures and practices in medical engineering technology
- PLO 2 Problem Analysis: Analyse well-defined engineering problems in medical engineering technology
- PLO 3 Problem Analysis: Formulate solutions to well-defined technical problems in medical engineering technology
- PLO 4 Design/Development of Solution: Assist with the formulation of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs in medical engineering technology
- PLO 5 Investigation: Conduct investigations of well-defined medical engineering technology problems
- PLO 6 Modern Tool Usage:Apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering tools, including prediction and modeling to well-defined medical engineering technology activities with an awareness of the limitations
- PLO 7 Individual & Team Work: Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams
- PLO 8 Communication: Communicate effectively on medical engineering technology activities with the engineering community and with society at large, by being able to comprehend and write effective report and design documentation, make effective presentations, give and receive clear instruction
- PLO 9 The Engineer and Society: Demonstrate awareness and consideration for the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities and norms of practices
- PLO 10 Ethics:Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practices
- PLO 11 Environment and Sustainability: Demonstrate the understanding of the impact of engineering practices, taking into account the need for sustainable development
- PLO 12 Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of management, business practices and entrepreneurship
- PLO 13 Life-long Learning: Recognize the need for professional development and have the ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning
Career Information The advancement in healthcare technologies has increased the demand for biomedical engineers, biomedical technologies, biomedical technical and biomedical technical personnel who are varies in responsibilities such as in designing, development, and maintenance of specialized biomedical instrumentation systems. Relatively, graduates with Diploma of Engineering Technology in Medical Electronics shall be able to pursue careers as biomedical technician, biomedical technologist, biomedical engineers and medical electronics engineers. The graduates shall also be employed as electrical or electronics technician, technologist or engineers because they have the foundations in electrical and electronics engineering as well. There are also graduates that join academic sector as well as entrepreneur.
- Technical Mathematics I
- Programming I
- Engineering Physics
- Principles of Electric Circuits
- Electronics Workshop Practice
- Proficiency English
- Islamic/Moral Studies
- Co-Curriculum I
- Bahasa Kebangsaan (For Non-credit BM only)
- Technical Mathematics II
- Introduction to Electronics
- Engineering Software
- Electric Circuits I
- Digital Electronics
- Management for Engineers
- Technical & Communication English I
- Co-Curriculum II
- Mathematics III
- Electric Circuits II
- Combinational & Sequential Logic
- Technical & Communication English II
- Fiqh Kontemporari I
- Engineering Design
- Human & Control Physiology for Engineers
- Introduction to Physical Science
- Principle of Physiological Measurement
- Technical & Communication English III
- Fiqh Kontemporari II
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Mandarin I
- Medical Instrumentation Signal & Imaging System
- Business Management Techniques
- Electronics in Therapeutic & Diagnostic Devices
- Islam dan Kejuruteraan Profesional
- Malaysian Studies
- Mandarin II
- Final Year Project
- Industrial Training
JPT/BPP (R/523/4/0128) 03/19, MQA A 1038
Electrical, Electronics, Medical Electronics & Telecommunication
Jan and June
MARKETING, STUDENT RECRUITMENT & ADMISSION DIVISION (MeSRA)
Universiti Kuala Lumpur
Level 3, 1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 – 2175 4422 / 4031 / 5408
Mobile: +6011 – 2076 8869
Fax: +603 – 2175 4446
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
+603 – 2175 4000
+603 – 2175 4001
CONNECT WITH #UniKL